ChowNow is the ordering platform dedicated to helping local restaurants grow and compete in a sustainable way. At ChowNow, we’re driven by one purpose: to help local restaurants thrive. By helping diners discover their delicious creations and helping restaurants connect with customers new and old.
ChowNow powers branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across the US — via restaurants’ own websites, on Facebook and Google pages, through ChowNow-created apps, and via ChowNow’s website— while also providing our restaurant partners key customer insights and marketing support.
We are located in the Playa Vista neighborhood and tech hub of Los Angeles — just a few minutes from both the beach and the freeways. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should, too. We’ve been named a Best Place to Work, have been certified as a Great Place to Work, and have a whole bunch of happy employees on Glassdoor!
About the Position:
We are looking to expand our mobile team with an Android engineer who will love building user-centered, reliable mobile experiences. ChowNow is building an ecosystem that helps local restaurants find new customers, consolidate their brand and improve their operations. You will contribute to make architecture and technical decisions to build the next chapter of ChowNow’s Android applications. You will join our growing product team where you will collaborate to solve complex problems with a “quality product first” approach. You will be involved from design to delivery of new features and be responsible for measuring the success of the product.
- ChowNow’s mobile applications are built in Java & Swift.
- Our dependencies are managed by Gradle and Cocoapods.
- We monitor our apps with Fabric, Embrace IO, and New Relic.
- Our designers work with Sketch. They deliver and collaborate with the team via Zeplin.
- Our RESTful APIs are powered by Python, MySQL, and Redis supported by infrastructure-as-code environments on Amazon Web Services.
- ChowNow’s front end applications are built on React & Redux.
Within 3 months, you'll:
- You will build and support the first big features as a key contributor to our new MVP product
- You will master development patterns and collaborative processes. We work together to make work efficient
- You will write internal documentation and test your features and systems. We take responsibility for communication and quality
Within 6 months, you'll:
- You will have made a valued impact on multiple products or pilots that have started or been released. We celebrate our success by measuring our impact, internally and externally
- You will understand major feature areas of our mobile applications and be comfortable switching from one to the other without the support of another team member
- You will have participated in the architecture and implementation of new user-facing features. We communicate and collaborate on our architecture to achieve security, scalability, and maximum learning
- You will provide feedback during code-reviews of prospective engineers and listen in on telephone screening. We will teach you our interviewing methods
Within a year, you'll:
- You will build within reliable estimates. We know this takes time, and we strive to be accurate with each other
- You will feel comfortable as a knowledge leader, contributing teaching and continuing to learn. We want to learn as much we teach
- You will be an essential part of growing our team by fully participating in the hiring interview process. We share responsibility to grow our team
You Should Apply If:
- You have built, designed and implemented a large piece of an Android application, and would like to put your experience into building ChowNow’s platform
- You have experience building applications using Java or Kotlin
- You value beautiful and pixel perfect UI
- You make decisions based on data and evidence
- You enjoy iterative, agile development process with frequent releases
- You take great pleasure in writing quality, highly maintainable code
- You have experience with various Android libraries and tooling
- You find excitement in learning new business models and transferring such knowledge into beautiful software design
- You like collaborating with multiple stakeholders within and outside the engineering team towards common goals
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- Six weeks of fully paid primary parental leave and two weeks secondary leave
- Employer contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap